February 09, 2009

The Experiment

"And she finally stopped playing their song, when she realized she was dancing alone.”

(I wrote this a long time ago, when things were different. A lot has changed, I have grown and nobody is "too young, too dramatic" anymore. But I love this story and I wanted it on my blog.)

The rat sat on the mat in his boxy cubicle, waiting, waiting. He didn't have much time for the neighbors with their small talk anymore. The rat next door had been feeling sick and a few people around the corner of the room had been dying. He felt puzzled, but his little mind was busy with other things. Like love. That brilliant sensation you get when you eat too much of that good cheese. Knowing that the world was just a moody blur under her pretty feet. He remembered how it felt, his skin against her. His fur prickled at the thought. The smell of her body came on a bolt of desire. A paddy field in summertime.

The scientist looked at her watch. It was time, then. There was so much money invested in this thing, it HAD to work. She bit nervously on her perfect nails. Then laughed. Second manicure tomorrow in two weeks. Oh well. She called the technician and they entered the lab together.

Here she came, the queen of his life. The rat tried to perk up and sit erect. Lately, he had been feeling a littled dizzy and had stopped feeding. This was it, he thought. Love so pure and good, the dead rose from their graves and sang "Love Me Tender".

She spotted him the minute she walked in. How could she not? This was the "king" rat, the crucial animal in their year-long experiment. He had a bigger box which was set a little apart from the rest. "Hey darling, how are we doing this morning?", she asked teasingly. She inspected him closely. If she had her way, she would have preferred any other rat. He was so ugly. Bald in several places, and lots of scar tissue from previous experiments. She didn't have a choice in her selection though, this one being the oldest of them all and the most sensitive to the antibodies. She hated those beady eyes that stared so at her, pupils widely dilated. Probably crazy from the drugs, she thought. She stroked his fur gently, automatically.

The technician brought in the equipment on a special silver tray. Making a ceremony of it. The scientist put on her gloves and loaded the syringe. The rat quivered in anticipation. He loved these shots. There had been more of them in the last few days, but he knew why. She was testing him. She wanted to see how much pain he could endure. And oh, he could endure. He could endure anything. Each shot proved his loyalty and he welcomed the adrenaline rush.

They watched the small drops of the precious serum fall, indicating everything was good. Today's injection was different, the rat noticed. It was green in color, not the usual white. And the dose looked much bigger. He hoped it wouldn't hurt too much. He was a little weak after all.

The scientist experty dabbed his leg and poked him. The fluid entered him smoothly. The rat was suprised. Today it didn't hurt at all. It felt rather... good. Finishing up, the two humans took a step back and stood there, motionless.

The rat was confused. The scientist was a busy woman who usually rushed away with sweet, whispered promises of returning the next day. Now she stood there, just looking at him. What was happening? In a flash, he got very sick. His body started jerking uncontrollably. His involuntary brain took over and threw him against the bars of the box. Pain, worse than anything he had ever experienced coursed through his nerves, screaming, screaming. Help me, he gasped. Please, you angel of goodness. Save me.

The scientist watched the rat convulse, scattering his food grains and water bottle. She calmly inspected him from her spot. His eyes were blood-shot, paws rigid. He was pissing and excreting, unable to control his bladder and bowel movements. Blood appeared from his nose, and soon was pouring out of his mouth and ears too. This was going to take a while.

The rat kept looking at her. He understood everything. The increase in frequency of the shots, the nausea and guidiness, the inability to feed. It was all leading up to this, his undignified death. His queen was was a murderer. She was laughing now. Apparently this was what she wanted, what she wanted all along. The pain started to decrease and his convulsions became less marked. Well, he thought, in death he had given her all he could. He smiled at her. It was romantic. It was beautiful. And yes, it was pure and true. Then he died.

I'm so glad that stupid ugly rat is dead, squealed the scientist to the technician. Look how its nasty eyes are still open. And it looks like it's even smiling. It was one really weird piece of shit. I don't even wanna think about it. You know what this means don't you? A bigger pay-check and more money for our research. Heaven! The technician took her into his arms and right there, in front of the dead staring rat, they became one. Nobody belongs to anybody.

27 comments:

mania said...

Devastating Love.
I feel sorry for the ugly bald rat.
is it written by you?

The Passionate Book Worm said...

wow! Impressively clever!

joshlos said...

This was disturbing, but well done. Then again, I can be sqeemish from time to time. Nonetheless, very nice writing.

Pavitra Ramkumar said...

hehe....nice one....
to tell you the truth, i don't like animal experimenting......
but you made this sound kinda sweet in a wierd way.....

Crowscious said...

@mania : yeah i wrote it :), it disturbs me a lil bit too :P

mania said...

It is heart breaking story.I have read it for the third time and it mad eme thing that how cruel are the humans.
must praise you. you write so well so mature. keep writing such stuff.

Anyways, I love your profile pic. Reminds me of my twin nieces.see them here in my another blog on xanga.

http://www.xanga.com/maniaxx/690575030/sheeza-and-mahnoor---the-twins/

Hey, i also want to know about your name or any of your nick cause I don't want to call you crow.

Love from the other side of the border,
mania

Crowscious said...

Actually these experiments are necessary or we won't have drugs for sick people. But still, the rat angle is good, eh. What's wrong with crow? it's a childhood nickname. Okay, you can call me Suzy. It's a shortened version of my middle name ;)

Indrayani aka, Indi! said...

This was such a beautiful story..
and it did make me sad..
I am soooo against animal abuse in ANY form and it kinda reminded me that there are still so many places that this goes on ..!:(

Miracle Drug said...

hey
you need to check out www.thepinkchaddicampaign.blogspot.com

its about that mangalore pub episode in which girls were attacked.

im trying to publicise it all over manipal, perhaps you'll try and spread the word in mangalore?

ps i really like this story.

Crowscious said...

@Indi : Hmmmm I'm not vegan but please don't shoot me :)
@ Miracle Drug: I did, I did. I commented as well on it. Good job I say!

Chronicwriter said...

bald ?...

grr...

sad ...

i love the pink chaddii though...

:)

Shannon ♠ said...

Wow, what a story. Haunting. By the way, thanks for the comment you left on my blog! I really appreciate it -- it was really sweet. :)

Kofi Bofah said...

Just floating through blog world to see where I end up.

I am random like that.

deluded said...

I wish I was the technician.

hot scientist girls are hard to come by ;)

Juhi said...

I thought this piece was very well written but also very sad. To be not only murdered by the one you love, but to be despised by her too...well, that's painful.

Btw, you mentioned having a blogger's meet perhaps in June...does that mean you would be in Bombay in June? That would be great. Do tell me...tc

Pink Loves Paris said...

I am disturbed. Poor mouse-y.

But the fact that you could put in the accurate theme and to get the rat's perspecive so heartbreakingly, kudos to you!

P.S. I'm back in blog world :)

Johnny Vincero said...

You have Bob Dylan on your list. Whatever else you do or don't like, that alone's a "get-out-of-jail-free" card. x)

The Funny one said...

Where did you get the idea for this piece of writing? I admire a writer who can think outside the box of usual themes like good-vs-evil and happily-ever-after type stuff. Even if I don't like reading it, I liked to read it.
Whoa. That was weird!
Anyway, I'm glad I stopped by.

Crowscious said...

LOL, u dont wanna know the background of this story :(, it's tragic... i understand though, I dont read it much myself.

@Vincero: I love Dylan, but he IS rather over rated.

Johnny Vincero said...

Meh, I have "Take It Easy," but I have no desire to burn it anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but only insofar as I consider it good luck to hear it on the radio once in awhile.

Out of curiousity, if Dylan is overrated, who would you rate above him? Unless it's already on your music list, in which case I've just asked a dumb question. Granted, he's not my absolute favorite songwriter, but I like talking anything '60's rock / British Invasion stuff / what-have-you.

Johnny Vincero said...

Sounds fair. See, if it's out of ten, I can't imagine giving a ten to anybody. But if I had to, it'd be somewhere between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles.

Johnny Vincero said...

Ha, that's fine. Even my girlfriend doesn't have the same taste in music as me.

Another Kiran In NYC said...

The story really GOT me in more ways than one.
You write well... simply and thought provoking.

Miracle Drug said...

hiya

thanks for stopping by, again. it really makes my day...to come home to a lil comment :)

life is tough right now, and i'm gonna take every shred of empathy and understanding i can find lol

your v day story really fits my mood. sigh.

JR Moreau said...

This piece is kick ass. I really like it!

The Clandestine Samurai said...

It seems like you have the same view of humans that I do. Especially concerning animals. But I'm wondering why the mouse never questioned why the scientist was testing his pain endurance. Even if in love, why that way instead of another (or at all, really [so I would picture the rat asking himself]).

Anurag said...

Geez ...Haven't read such style of writing ...Had me hooked ...Kudos :)

Wasn't able 2 comment on your blog for some odd reason ...Hopefully this one sticks :P

Post a Comment